Cheryl has been in public accounting since 1980. She serves health care organizations, focusing on Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement and related billing and coding issues. She also consults on operational issues, organizational structures, work standards, and third-party reimbursement issues.
Cheryl works with health care providers on graduate medical education programs and compliance with CMS’s provider-based requirements, and she provides client support during Medicare and Medicaid audits and appeals. She also works closely with hospitals on their payment and funding issues, including wage indices and geographic classifications and reclassifications.
Her health care experience began with two years at a Medicare fiscal intermediary, followed by more than eight years at a CPA firm specializing in long-term care facilities, and over 10 years with a consulting firm providing services to hospitals regarding Medicare and other third-party payor issues.
Specific relevant experience includes:
- Prepare Medicare and Medicaid cost reports for health care entities
- Assist clients during third-party audits with Medicare and Medicaid
- Formulate appeals of audit issues in connection with cost reports
- Served as an expert witness before the PRRB and on a case where hospitals sued the state for underpayment of claims
- Work with hospitals on their medical education programs, including criteria for and establishment of new residency programs, tracking resident FTEs, estimating IME and GMEreimbursement, and computing the roll forward FTEs from the base year
- Work with health care clients on certification, licensure, and provider-based status in conformance with applicable state and CMS regulations
- Assist Critical Access Hospitals to capture appropriate reimbursement for services; perform interim settlement analyses
- Assist hospitals with their Rural Health Clinic billing and reimbursement issues
- Train clients on billing and coding issues and work through setting up or revising billing for services to ensure compliance with government regulations
- Prepare manuals on Medicare coverage, documentation and billing requirements specifically for psychiatric services to hospital clients
- Assist health care entities with OIG investigations regarding Medicare billing and cost report issues
Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Healthcare Financial Management Association, Oregon Chapter
Past regional executive,
Healthcare Financial Management Association, Region 11
BS, business administration, Oregon State University