Prepare for April 15 and Protect Your Identity by Reactivating Your MyFTB Account Soon

In January 2016, the California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) completely revamped MyFTB—the Web-based platform individual and business taxpayers use to file and access state tax information. As a result, all former MyFTB users need to reregister before they can use the new system.

While this doesn’t sound like a difficult thing to do, the process isn’t instantaneous. It can take as many as 10 to 15 days to complete the registration process. As a result, a number of individuals were unable to reregister in time to make their January 15 estimated payment electronically. With April 15 fast approaching, we provide some registration tips for individuals filing state income tax in California.

Start the Registration Process Now

Registration for the new version of MyFTB is a three-step process:

  • Create your account. As a recommendation, register no later than March 21 to allow plenty of time to fix any glitches.
  • Wait for your PIN. You should receive your PIN by mail within 10 business days. For your protection, FTB won’t provide your PIN by email, fax, or phone (see below).
  • Log in within 21 days of the date you registered. When you use the PIN you received, you activate your account; afterward, you’ll no longer need to use your PIN to log in. After 21 days, your PIN expires and you have to start the process over.

It’s important to note that FTB will mail your PIN to the address it has on file for you. If you’ve moved, make sure you update your address with FTB. You can do so by calling FTB at 1-800-852-5711 between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Alternatively, someone who has California power of attorney for you, such as your tax provider, can also update your address.

Security Questions

FTB recommends that when you answer its security questions—such your mother’s maiden name—you don’t answer the question truthfully. Rather, use another word you’ll remember. This makes it harder for hackers to find information they can use to get into your other online accounts.

Use FTB's Web Pay Instead

As an alternative to MyFTB, individuals filing in California can use FTB’s Web Pay to make payments. However, even if you aren’t going to use MyFTB, you should still register with it to prevent identity theft.

FTB has created a MyFTB account for all taxpayers it has on record, and to access to your account, your must first register. The first person who activates your account will have access to your information, so make sure it’s you.

Contact Us

For more information on paying your California taxes or questions about MyFTB or Web Pay, contact your Moss Adams professional or:

Kelly Bluth, Manager
(916) 503-8210

Contact Us with Questions

Enter security code:
 Security code