Cheri has focused on telecommunications and cooperative tax since 1995, providing tax planning and compliance as well as consulting services for cooperative and corporate reorganizations and cooperative capital credit strategies. Cheri serves rural telcos, and her clients include wireline ILEC and CLEC commercial and cooperative enterprises, wireless and international carriers, cable television companies, fiber transport companies, and telephone associations.
Cheri is responsible for the tax work performed by the Spokane and Kansas City office’s telecom group and for the firm’s utility cooperative tax practice. She is the lead instructor for two national cooperative seminars and one corporate tax seminar, all part of the firm’s annual series of 20 accounting and business courses for the telecom industry. In addition, she is regularly asked to speak to cooperatives’ boards of directors on capital credit strategies.
Cheri is also past chair of the Telergee Alliance Tax Committee. Her leadership ensured that the committee met its goals of improving tax practice efficiency and sharing best practices among the seven member firms.
Cheri’s experience includes:
- Capital credit policy design and strategy development
- Cooperative patronage calculations and strategy development
- Cooperative and corporate structure analysis and consulting
- Federal excise tax compliance and refund
- Consulting on mergers, reorganizations, and corporate restructuring
- IRS audit assistance
- Consolidated tax returns compliance and planning
- State income tax compliance and planning
- Deferred tax and ASC 740 compliance and planning
- Utility cooperative tax law and compliance
- S corporation analysis and conversions
- Shareholder income tax planning and strategy
- Corporate acquisition strategy and analyses